Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year, New Goals

I have 2 major goals this year:

1. Become healthier through healthier eating.

2. Become more relaxed despite my hectic schedule.

Goal number 1 is pretty self-explanatory. I've got a bunch health issues that I'd like to boot out of my life. Some of them aren't going anywhere--there's nothing I can do about them. But there are some that I could control, if I work at it. I am making small changes, one at a time, and working towards a healthier me. Right now I am working on not snacking after dinner.

Goal number 2 is a little more nebulous, at least in my mind. There are lots of reasons for me to feel stressed out a lot of the time. Some of the reasons have names: Sharon, Michelle, Sophie, Maggie... For the past several years, I have reviewed my list of commitments over and over again, cutting out things that are unnecessary. I think I am now down to the basics, but I still feel a lot of stress. I have tried to consider why I feel stressed. One reason, which I should have realized earlier, is Jeff. Not Jeff himself, or anything he does, really, but being married to someone who has ADHD puts a certain amount of pressure on the non-ADHD spouse. Because he can't sit still, Jeff accomplishes a ridiculous number of tasks per day. When you add that to the fact that he literally cannot sleep more than 6 hours per night, the pressure really begins to mount! With these realizations, my first step in being more relaxed is to accept that the number of things I accomplish in a day will not match the number that Jeff accomplishes in a day. If I figure out a second step, I'll let you know what it is, but this one will take me a while. In fact, maybe that should be my goal for the year. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment