Thursday, July 7, 2011

Blessed in trial

Last Monday I woke up early, went on a lovely bike ride, and crashed my bike in front of my next door neighbor's house. When I crashed, I landed on the top of my tibia, just below my knee. Breaking my leg was not exactly on my summer agenda this year. Somehow I forgot to put in on my list in between "take the kids to the Butterfly Pavilion" and "convince Michelle to actually compete in one of the swim meets for her swim team." As you might imagine, I've had some rough days as a result. However, as I've had a bit of time to think about what happened, I have realized many ways in which I have been blessed even in trial.

1. This year we randomly decided to mulch our veggie garden. How is this related? Well, the vegetable garden is my baby--I plant, weed, water, and pick it with minimal amounts of help from the family. With mulching, the weeding is almost completely eliminated and the garden is doing quite well with no intervention. (It is watered by a drip system on a timer.) I've never mulched it before, but I'm very glad now to not be worrying about the garden.

2. Jeff didn't have a fireworks show for the 4th. Usually he is gone for 5 days before the 4th and comes home on the 5th or 6th after doing his show. But this year he just didn't have one to do. So he was home to help me on my crutches over the long weekend.

3. My pain level has been very low. The doctor and other people have been surprised, but my pain is completely controlled with just taking a few m&ms here and there. Ok, and a couple of Advil. And some more m&ms.

4. I crashed in front of my neighbors' house. If I had crashed farther from home, who knows what would have happened, especially since the people who found me may or may not have known me. Thankfully, I crashed right next door to my own house, and Charlie (across the street) and Jeff were able to carry me into the house without too much trouble. Of course, Jeff has now laid down a law that I must carry i.d. with me whenever I run/bike. I told him he should just write my name and phone number inside of all of my running shirts.

5. I didn't land on my knee. By landing on the top of my tibia, instead of my knee, my prognosis is much better and healing time should be much quicker. If I had landed on my knee, I would have likely been dealing with either a shattered kneecap or torn ligaments, both of which are long, painful recoveries. In comparison, this broken leg almost feels like cheating.

6. Swim lessons. One of my best friends just happened to sign her kids up for swim lessons at the same time as mine. So after I broke my leg, she was their ride. Inspiration? I think so.

7. David and Cassie. David, Cassie, Naomi and Zilpa came out to visit for the 4th of July weekend. It was wonderful to have them visit and they helped us so much physically and emotionally.

I'm sure there are other ways in which we were prepared and blessed to be able to better handle this situation. The Lord does not give us trials which we cannot overcome. And He always gives us preparatory tools. I can't say I'm grateful to have a broken leg, but I am grateful for the insight I've gained as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment