Friday, July 8, 2011

gardening with a broken leg

Gardening has taken on a new direction since I broke my leg. I love spending time in my garden, looking at the plants, checking their progress, pulling a few weeds at a time. In my pre-broken leg life, I visited my garden for at least a few minutes almost every morning. Post-broken leg, it is hard for me to manage stairs, so I have only gone out in the yard a few times. I'm still obsessing about the garden, though, so I have to think of clever ways to solicit help from my already over worked children.

Today my obsession is focused on the cherry tree. The girls picked 5+ cups of cherries a few days ago, and made a cherry crisp, but they just keep turning red and there are lots more cherries ready now. So I am turning my thought to what ingenious plan I might design to convince them to pick more cherries. Another cherry crisp might work, but I am trying to think of additional enticements. And hoping I can get them out to pick the cherries before the birds do the work for them!

3 comments:

  1. Emily--Thanks for the invitation, I don't look at blogs constantly but I try to keep up. My own blog is defunct as I wanted to use it for rants that I suspect no one wants to read.

    I view my Ward as a constitutional monarchy, but one in which I have more power than a figurehead monarch. Really the analogy I use is the symphony orchestra--as director, I get to set the vision and correct the players, but they make the music.

    At home--a dual executive like the Roman Republic. Robin would say I'm primus inter pares, but I'm not so sure. She, after all, has the power of the purse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily--thanks for the invite. I will follow you as I am able.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hat is off to you with all you are doing with a broken leg. I broke my femur almost 2 years ago, and I was not nearly as ambitious as you. Here's hoping that your leg will heal quickly. So glad you have started blogging! --Michelle

    ReplyDelete