Our Relief Society lesson today was about becoming like little children in order to become more like Christ. In the course of the lesson, the teacher asked what we have learned from children in our lives. I considered this question carefully. Obviously, in the course of being a mother for the last 15 years, I have learned many lessons. It is difficult in some cases to decide how I learned various principles. However, there are a few specific things that I feel quite certain I have observed in each of my children and hope someday to learn.
Sharon has shown a consistent example of how to let things go. She has an amazing ability to let things roll off her back and continue forward, regardless of the hurt or frustration she may feel in a given circumstance. I believe she derives this strength mainly from her consistent focus on the things that matter most. For example, when she was in 6th grade, I questioned her about friends. I was concerned about her adjustment to middle school. Her response is something I will never forget. She said, "I only need a few friends who have good values." The reason that this response is burned into my brain is because I have seen her consistently choose just a few friends for their good values, and remain unconcerned about the popular crowd. Someday I hope to be able to be as focused on the important things as she is.
Michelle has great instincts about emotions. She can immediately sense the mood of those around her, and she is very open concerning her intuition. I feel like Michelle teaches me to trust what my intuition says is happening, and say it like it is.
In Sophie, I see an undying curiosity. Sophie likes to understand every detail of the books she reads, of the things people say, of her own life and her own problems. She asks for the meanings of more words than most people ever use. Most impressively, she is willing to probe her own difficulties and worries. She considers her troubles even when it is scary or painful.
Maggie demonstrates an uncanny ability to respond with love. She is able to identify those who are in need of love in their lives and give it to them, giving hugs and sweet concern to those who I would pass by without a thought. Additionally, Maggie responds with love in almost every type of situation. If those around her are sad, frustrated, smiling, friendly--no matter what the emotion, I see her responding with a hug and concern. Even at times when I have been angry, and even when I am angry with her, Maggie responds with love, with a hug and a smile.
Someday I hope to be able to do the things I see in my wonderful girls.
No comments:
Post a Comment